The Human Calculator Shows How to Master Everyday Math Problems in SecondsBook - 1993
The "Human Calculator" shows readers the traditional disciplines of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division and explains how to use these mathematical disciplines to solve everyday math problems. Reprint. $50,000 ad/promo. Tour.
Scott Flansburg's heartfelt belief is that there are no "mathematical illiterates," just people who have not learned how to make math work for them. But millions of otherwise successful adults are afraid to balance their checkbooks and don't know how to figure interest on savings or credit. Millions of students dread their math classes and live in fear of the math section of the SAT. But, as Scott Flansburg demonstrates, anyone can put these phobias to rest and deal with essential everyday mathematical calculations with confidence. In Math Magic,Scott Flansburg shows the reader:
- How to master the basics;
- How addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division really work;
- How to simplify calculations through estimation;
- How to quick-check your answers;
- How measurements work and how to quickly convert metric measures to more familiar ones;
- How to figure tips and taxes and be sure you're getting the right change;
- How to figure percentages; and
- How to master algebra using the nine easy steps to algebra.
Math Magic is for all of us who need and want to improve our understanding of math. Flansburg makes math what you may never have imagined it to be: easy and fun.